Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Good News!

This is a summary I have stolen that appeared in the recent Rolling Stone & Mojo magazine... Looks like the ball is rolling!


Title: I/O
Due: TBC
Production: Peter Gabriel
Songs: Wild, Silver Screen, Curtains, Amazing, Baby Man, Animal Nation.

The intro says: "It's getting on for three years since Peter Gabriel's last studio album, Up, and already he has... well, 'absolutely no idea' when the next one will be finished."

To summarise, the piece says that PG recorded a handful of working title tracks in 2003 and these have now been provisionally mixed by Tchad Blake. PG has now resumed on the album and will be concentrating on it for the rest of the year.

Interesting PG quotes: "I went to the painter Howard Hodgkin's studio once and he showed me some things he'd started 20 years ago. I thought, Ah, I'm not the only one. Apart from new stuff, I have this chart of about a hundred ideas, which I'll revisit and sometimes you'll find gravity has started to pull on them. Curtains was actually the B-side of a single called Big Time [1987]; through my website I asked people to vote for the songs they most wanted us to play on the tour and it came near the top. Probably one obsessive with nothing better to do, but I decided to rework it, so thanks to whoever it was."

The article also says PG has "resisted big-money offers for a Genesis reunion" and is looking forward to working on the new album "no matter how long it takes".

"I do like carefully chiselled stuff. I still aspire to the way Brian Wilson works. I love to get out the magnifying glass and craft a song."

When asked what the "buzz" is about the new album, he replies: "Er - more of the same old sh*t!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home